POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tetrahedral planetoid revisited : Tetrahedral planetoid revisited Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:15:57 EDT (-0400)
  Tetrahedral planetoid revisited
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 6 Feb 2008 06:20:00
Message: <web.47a99724ffed9a2731f01d10@news.povray.org>
Some of you may remember my Escher 'Double Planetoid' tribute from a couple of
years back. I've been playing with the rocky part of the planetoid, partly to
improve the realism of the rock and partly to make it render faster, because
I'm trying to render a large version to put on Zazzle (test renders at the
final resolution were starting to take weeks. Damn you, radiosity +
isosurface!)

I got hold of Jaap Frank's tweaking of Kevin Loney's isosurface approximation
macro, see

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C3f012665%40news.povray.org%3E/

for the original thread on this server. The tetrahedron below is built from
2,400 copies of the demo scene's wrinkled sphere mesh at <100,100,100>
resolution, and rendered in ~30 mins on my Macbook (peak memory ~22MB).

The idea is to suggest a normal spherical planetoid but with mountainous peaks
that more naturally form a tetrahedron shape. I think it's a very nice result
so I thought I'd share it!

Comments are of course welcome

Bill

Post a reply to this message